Terms & Conditions
LopLao Terms and Conditions
Please note, while these Terms & Conditions apply to both students on our in-person summer school held in Oxford as well as to our online services, some specific terms and conditions apply only to students on the former, and some apply only to students on the latter – these are clearly marked below.
1. The purpose of these Terms & Conditions is to set out the contractual basis for your relationship with LopLao, and to draw your attention to key terms.
2. Your contract with LopLao is made up of these Terms & Conditions
3. You will enter into your contract with LopLao when you pay the full amount of the compulsory fees and charges for your course (see paragraph 8 below).
4. You will enter into this contract with LopLao even if your fees are paid by a third party on your behalf.
5. Your enrolment and your continued attendance on your course are conditional upon you providing true, genuine, accurate and complete (i.e. not omitting information you have been asked to provide) information in your application form and on you meeting any conditions of your offer.
6. LopLao’s in-person summer school is open to individuals from the United Kingdom (“UK”) and internationally, provided that international students are from countries that do not require a visa to enter the UK. You must be at least 18 years old at the start of the summer school. There are no upper age limits for admission.
7. LopLao’s online courses are open to all individuals aged 18 years and above at the start of the course. There are no upper age limits for admission.
Fees and Payment
8. Details of the fees and charges you will have to pay are set out on the course web page.
9. You (or a third party paying fees on your behalf) may pay your fees and other charges:
i. through PayPal, as instructed upon receiving confirmation of your successful application. In this case your fees will be received and your enrolment accepted when the cleared funds enter LopLao’s PayPal account.
ii. through bank transfer, as instructed upon receiving confirmation of your successful application. In this case your fees will be received and your enrolment accepted when the cleared funds enter LopLao’s bank account.
iii. It is your responsibility to ensure that the course fees are paid by the deadline notified. You are responsible for any non-payment even if your fees are being paid by a third party.
10. LopLao reserves the right to refuse you admission to your course if you have not paid all compulsory fees before the course starts.
11. All payments must be in GB Pounds Sterling. You must pay any currency conversion costs or other charges incurred in making the payment or in processing a refund.
Cancellations and refunds – within 14 days
12. You have the right to cancel your contract at any time within 14 days of its commencement. You will receive a full refund of any payments you have made.
13. If you choose a course that is due to commence within 14 days of purchase and then wish to cancel after your course has started, you will be required to pay for any part of your course which has already taken place and for any course materials which have been provided to you.
14. To cancel within 14 days please inform us in writing by email (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please write the name of your course in the subject-line of your email.
Cancellations and refunds – after 14 days
15. If you cancel your place on a course at any time after expiry of the 14 day period you will not be entitled to a refund, except in exceptional circumstances, at the discretion of LopLao. If a refund is made an administration fee may be charged.
16. In exceptional circumstances you may be able to transfer your enrolment to a different LopLao course, or substitute a different student onto the same course, subject to any administration fees. Course fees already paid can be transferred to the new course, and any outstanding balance must be paid in full before the place can be confirmed. No refund will be given if the new course costs less than the original course.
17. To cancel after 14 days, or to ask to transfer or substitute someone else, please inform us in writing by email (email@example.com). Please write the name of your course in the subject-line of your email. You should include all the relevant details including your and any substitute’s names, and the name of any course you wish to transfer to.
Cancellation by us
18. Where there are good reasons to do so LopLao may cancel your course by giving you notice in writing at any time before the course is due to start. LopLao will refund all fees paid by you and will endeavour to offer a transfer to another course as an alternative, subject to payment or refund of any difference in purchase price.
19. LopLao’s liability when it cancels a course will be limited to a refund of any fees paid for the cancelled course. For partial cancellation of a course, such refunds will be made on a proportionate basis.
Changes to Courses
20. LopLao will seek to deliver each course in accordance with the description set out on the course web page.
21. However, there may be situations in which it is desirable or necessary for LopLao to make changes in course provision, either before or after enrolment. LopLao therefore reserves the right to:
i. make reasonable changes to the timetable, location or staff specified for a course; and
ii. make reasonable changes to the content and syllabus of a course.
22. In exceptional circumstances we may need to suspend, discontinue or combine courses.
- LopLao will not be liable to you for any loss caused to you under its contract with you which results from events which are beyond LopLao’s reasonable control, such as: industrial action, acts of god, acts of terrorism, the unanticipated departure or absence of key members of staff, or failure by third party suppliers and subcontractors. In such circumstances LopLao will take reasonable steps to mitigate the impact on you and to restore usual teaching and services.
Please note, the following section is only applicable if you are attending the in-person summer school:
- You are required to take out comprehensive insurance to cover yourself, including, for the summer school, health, contents and travel insurance, which will insure you against, but not limited to, issues such as flight costs and course fees incurred in the event of cancellations, theft of personal items, medical treatment, repatriation, personal accident, the occurrence of a Force Majeure Event, public liability, legal expenses etc.,
- It is your responsibility to follow the relevant requirements of your insurer, for example in informing the insurer promptly after any accident and claiming from the insurer.
- LopLao staff members may ask you to participate in photographs, videos or other promotional activities during the course, for use in LopLao’s future publicity. You should advise LopLao in writing before the course if you would prefer not to participate in these activities and unless otherwise instructed in writing, LopLao may use these images for its business use and promotional activities on an ongoing basis
The Equality Act
- If you identify as disabled or have any other particular requirements you are asked to provide LopLao with sufficient information in writing by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) so that LopLao can start to consider and make any reasonable arrangements.
- If you have a complaint you should inform us in writing by email (email@example.com). We will endeavour to respond within 14 days.
- Your contract with LopLao will end in the following circumstances:
i. when you finish your course or if you cancel or withdraw from your course and so cease to be a current student;
ii. if LopLao exercises its right to cancel or discontinue your course under paragraphs 18 or 22 above;
iii. if you fail to comply with paragraph 5 above.
- The following terms will survive termination of your contract with LopLao for any reason:
i. terms relating to personal data as described at paragraph 26 and 27 above; and
ii. terms relating to LopLao procedures to the extent that they relate to events that occurred prior to termination including the complaints procedure.
- You agree to:
i. behave considerably, responsibly and co-operatively towards anyone involved with LopLao, including fellow students, tutors, and staff.
ii. for in-person summer school students, treat all buildings and facilities that LopLao uses with care, and not to attach anything to or decorate any property.
iii. not make use of the name, logos, trademarks, or materials of LopLao without written permission.
iv. not publish any material by any medium relating to LopLao, its staff, students, or any other person or body LopLao has a relationship with without LopLao’s written permission.
33. Your contract with LopLao and any dispute arising from it (including noncontractual disputes) shall be governed by the laws of England and Wales and shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts.